Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Brunch Recommendation: Ellis

So, I know, brunch is how restaurants make you pay crazy amounts of cash for what would cost you $1.20 to make at home. Yet, it's my favorite meal with which to treat myself (and visitors). It's cheaper than going out for dinner, it's at a reasonable hour for the kiddles, and there is often the option of eggie-cheesie delights if nothing else inspires you.

So on Sunday, with my sister driving out of her way to meet up for a very brief visit with her niece and nephew, we chose Ellis. I figured it's easy to get onto the BQE from there, it's a place I've been wanting to try, but haven't gotten around to, and I'd heard rumors about a changing table in one of the bathrooms (it's true!). Okay, I'll admit, I was also desperate to try one of the fry bread creations that I'd heard about when I gave up my invite for the opening to my favorite (and generous) photographer, Vanessa. (See what she had to say.)

It was empty when we arrived just past 11 AM. It remained empty the entire time we were there. We got two highchairs, a coloring book and crayons, and the entire side room (with NY1 - with no cable, I miss my NY1!) to ourselves. I ordered the Navajo Fry Bread Pizza (seen above), and it was amazing. Garlicky, rich pesto under cheese and sunflower seeds. Really, even if it had just been the pesto on the fry bread, I would have been happy. The fry bread was all I hoped for. If I were there on my own I probably would have ordered the Nutella fry bread as well. :)
My sister ordered the Navajo Fry Bread Breakfast Taco. I didn't get a chance to taste it, but she said it was really good. The beans didn't look refried to me, but actually, they were probably better whole. I may get this the next time.

My sister's traveling buddy ordered the two eggs over medium with sausage. The hash browns looked a little crispy, but he said they were actually amazing: crunchy on the outside and moist (is that the right word?) on the inside. He finished them. The three sausages were definitely not from the freezer section. My husband got the Breakfast Burrito with shrimp, and he enjoyed it very much.

I liked the space - gotta love a place with books and dart boards - and the bathrooms are definitely sized for Brooklyn not Manhattan. The changing table is in the left-hand bathroom. There's a tiny outdoor space, but it looks more like the smoking section at my high school in the 80's. (They don't have it anymore.) Maybe it looks more inviting at night.

Overall, our visit to Ellis made me want to return to try more dishes. According to Yelp, it's had some ups and downs with staffing and atmosphere. And it seems to be more of a bar than a restaurant (hence the website's EllisBar)...but I'm all about the food.

Have you been? What did you think? Wanna do brunch?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Never been there for brunch, but I've been in the evenings occasionally. Didn't totally grab me - but the bluegrass was awesome.

Anonymous said...

I've been there for some saturday brunches and dinners. I love the selection and I always try to order something new. Great food and atmosphere.

Anonymous said...

I really like going for brunch or dinner. There is such a big selection on the menu. I try something new every time! The atmosphere is really cozy.

Anonymous said...

I go to Ellis for lunch a couple of times a week; get the burger and a beer. The burger is one of the best I have ever had in the city! Always comes out hot, cooked right, and well portioned.