Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Loosely Inspired by a Trip to the Aquarium


It was crowded at the New York Aquarium today. School vacation week and all. Lots of kids, lots of parents, lots of teens, lots of "camp" groups eating bag lunches. (You can tell a lot about the parents based on what they give their kids for lunch.)

Despite my minor case of misanthropy exacerbated by crowds, I managed to enjoy the New York Aquarium. My kid loved being able to stand up next to the tanks and watch the fish and walruses (and lick the glass). It was a beautiful day, and we got to see the baby walrus swim around. I even got a bee down my shirt! Woohoo! So anyway, today's selection will be with a mention of a walrus. It's from Lewis Carroll's "The Walrus and the Carpenter." A bit silly, I know, but then that's me. I particularly like it because it puts cabbages and kings on the same level.

from "The Walrus and the Carpenter"

"The time has come," the Walrus said, 

"To talk of many things:

Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--

Of cabbages--and kings--

And why the sea is boiling hot--

And whether pigs have wings."



No comments: